Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dinner Two: A DISASTER.. but a yummy dessert!

Okay.. so I don't really want to talk about the dinner part of this post even though it's the title! All I want to say about it is that, my original dinner plans didn't work out because I didn't realize when I started to cook it at 6:30pm that it actually takes 4 hours to cook, so I'm saving it for tomorrows dish! I then went to the grocery store to pick something else up, I thought instead of finding a new recipe and because it was getting late and I was getting super hungry, I'd just go into the store and be inspired with a recipe once I got there around all of the food (bad idea). I instead was just overwhelmed and shopping with my hungry stomach and for a reason I can't recall now.. saw these two HUMONGOUS turkey drum-sticks, grabbed them and checked-out! When I got home.. I realized the drumsticks were smoked and for making stew or soup.. not for roasting and enjoying with some gravy and mashed potatoes. I heated them up anyway and they were everything but enjoyed. Yuck.. the mashed potatoes didn't turn out so good either. I said I didn't want to say much about this, but apparently I must have, because I did! Hmm.. so that was frustrating, especially because I never screw up with cooking that badly. I mean, every now and then I'll get the rice to water ratio off by a bit and have to make it again.. but nothing major! Oh well! At least dessert was delicious, so I'll post about that!




Dark Chocolate Almond Cake
Makes: 6 pieces

1 Tblsp butter
3 Tblsps brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps heavy whipping cream
3 Tblsp sliced almonds

Batter:
2 Tblsp shortening
1/4 cup of sugar
2 Tblspns beaten egg
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tblsp flour
2 Tblsp baking cocoa
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 Tblsps water

Whipped Topping:
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsps confectioners' sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

1. Line a loaf pan with parchement paper and then layer with cooking spray. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp of whipping cream. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Pour into prepared pan. Top with almonds. Refridgerate.

2. In a small micing bowl, use a mixer to mix shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and 3 Tblsp water and mix until just blended.

3. Pour over pecan and sugar layer. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool COMPLETELY (until bottom is cool to touch, I put mine in the freezer for 15 minutes, you want the bottom layer to not be melty).

4. For whipped topping, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it starts to thicken (15seconds). Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form. Remove cake from pan; split into two horizontal layers. Place bottom cake layer almond side UP on a serving plate. spread a layer of topping on it. Then place second layer of cake almond side DOWN ontop of that and top with remaining whipped cream. I put chocolate shavings ontop.. but that's optional!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment