Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dinner Three: Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Parmesan

Dinner was DELISH. I decided to make a different one today than I decided yesterday.. but don't you worry I'll make yesterdays idea tomorrow!

This dish is another Real Simple recipe (they have the easiest and best recipes.. plus I always find something I've never had on there). It was originally a vegetarian plate.. but we like our meat so I added the grilled chicken. I wasn't sure if Kell would like this because he's not real big on asparagus and any other veggie dish I've made for us was kind of bland.. but not this one.. it was delightful and really had a lot of flavor.. I think the deep-cooked onions and wine combo are what gave it its zing. And Kell ate it up, so win-win. I would definatly reccomend this! I bet its yummy cold too!



Barley Risotto with Asparagus and Parmesan
Serves: 4

3 grilled chicken breasts (optional)
5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups barley
1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
1 pound asparagus, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces *(trim and discard an inch or so from the bottoms)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan


1. Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.

2. Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more.

3. Add the asparagus with the last 1/2 cup of broth and cook until tender. It should take 30 to 35 minutes for all the broth to be absorbed.

4. Brush chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill until no pink.

5. Remove from heat season with the salt and pepper, stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls and top with grilled chicken slices.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment